Former Jammu and Kashmir Governor Satya Pal Malik said his security cover has been downgraded. Satya Pal Malik said that instead of Z+ security cover, a personal security officer (PSO) would now be deployed for his security.
In an interview with India Today, Satya Pali Malik, who has served as Governor of Jammu and Kashmir, Meghalaya, and Goa, said his security was taken away because he spoke on the farmers' issue and the Centre’s Agniveer scheme.
Satya Pal Malik was the Jammu and Kashmir Governor in 2019 when the earstwhile state witnessed historical changes as Article 370 of the Constitution was abrogated. The government scrapped the special status granted to Jammu and Kashmir under Article 370 and split the state into two union territories - Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh.
Months later, Satya Pal Malik was shifted to Goa as its 18th Governor. Satya Pal Malik went on to serve as the 21st Governor of Meghalaya until October 2022
“I would like to say that I am not joining any political party. I am not a political person. But if something happens to me, please come to Delhi,” Satya Pal Malik said on Tuesday.
He claimed that the security cover of NN Vohra, who served as J&K Governor from 2008 to 2018, was still intact.
Satya Pal Malik said he has written to the home ministry about the issue, but no response has been received so far as to why his security cover was downgraded and what was the reason behind the move.
Notably, the protocol for lifetime security cover is in place for the family of the president and the prime minister. However, the security cover for the governors and L-Gs is based on intelligence received from security agencies.